Stove Grate Cleaning With Ammonia

Monday, March 4, 2013



This may have been one of my happiest discoveries while creating my DIY House Cleaning & Organization Pinboard over on Pintrest.  I'm, in no way, the inventor of this cleaning idea/tip, but I will advocate for it.  It truly saves you the headache of scrubbing, mostly unsuccessfully, to clean your stove burners/grates.  I also cleaned those things underneath the grate, though I have no idea what they're called.  The process is simple.
  1. Pour some ammonia in a Ziploc bag or other sealable container/bag.
  2. Place grates/burners in bag and zip up.  For people with single burners/grates, unlike my double ones, you can usually fit on per large Ziploc bag.
  3. Let sit overnight or so on your front porch or in your garage.  I opted for the front porch because of the fumes.
  4. The fumes from the ammonia will make it so that getting all that grime off your stove grates is much easier.
I, as you can see, have double grates.  I double bagged my grates in a trash bag, but it's not as air tight as the Ziploc bag I used for the other part of the stove.  Therefore, I've determined that you'll have better results with an air tight container or bag.  I'm still very satisfied with the results, but I'll probably have to do my grates one or two more times so they're squeaky clean.

Have you tried this?  Do you have anything to add?  What are your favorite cleaning discoveries?  Or Pintrest discoveries?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Blog contents © Mom's Potty Mouth 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.