Homemade Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I love, love, love me some au gratin or scalloped potatoes. Seriously, what is the difference between the two? I need to do some research on that. Anyway, the other night when making steak, I really wasn't sure what I was going to make with it. Mashed potatoes again? No way! But I really wanted potatoes and I really did not want to fry them.

Then BAM, it hit me. Duh! Why not make cheesy potatoes? I had Velveeta cheese, which we all know is amazing...right? What more did I need? I'll admit I cheated and googled them to get approximated cook times. However, I really just kind of winged it, which is what generally happens. I think I just lie the reassurance of seeing someone else's recipe and knowing it really is possible.

The turned out amazing. Even my six year-old commented on how good they were, while insisting us father eat them. I had the hubby's approval, too. He ate what little leftovers we had before I got home from work the next day. Talon cutely announced that he knew my secret ingredient. "What is it?" I asked him. "Cheese!" He declared, and I could only laugh. He surely knows my "secret" ingredient.

Ingredients

  • 6 to 8 potatoes (depends on size)
  • 8 oz Velveeta cheese (about 1/2 a block & you can afford some give/take on this, depending on preference)
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 to 2 cups shredded cheese (optional)
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Recipe

Cut potatoes about this thin.
  1. Place pot of water on stove to start heating up.
  2. Slice potatoes into desired thickness & add to boiling water.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees while potatoes cook
  4. Boil for 8 minutes and check every 1 to 2 minutes after until fork tender (not tender enough for mashed potatoes, remember)
  5. Cube velveeta cheese for easy melting.
  6. Strain potatoes and put on baking dish.
  7. Put in milk, velveeta cheese, salt and pepper.
  8. Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
  9. Stir in 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Add the other 1/2 cup on top.
  10. My Velveeta cheese blocks/slices.
  11. Uncover and bake until cheese is melted and potatoes are desired tenderness.
What my taters looked like before the cheese topping!

~ 3 adult servings

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Blog contents © Mom's Potty Mouth 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.